Saturday, March 5, 2011

box #5

Let your light so shine before others, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  (Matthew 5:16)

I've become addicted to LOST.  Started watching season one on dvd this past month...and I'm halfway through season two (thanks to the local library) and it just keeps getting better and better.  I just finished the episode entitled Fire and Water....having to do with one person on the island seriously insisting that the baby be baptized....whilst watching the episode, I opened the following box.


As part of the rite of baptism, after the person has been baptized and marked with the sign of the cross, he or she (or the sponsor, if it's an infant) receives a candle...and is reminded to let their light shine before others.  I like that I opened the box of miscellaneous candle holders while watching this episode.  Some are goofy...like the witches hat and jack-o-lantern holders for halloween...but others bring back different memories.   The crystal one was an ordination gift from a woman I have known a while through camp and church activities in Connecticut.  Another is one for a candle and scented wax, a gift of sorts from a friend who was thinning out her possessions...it reminds me of Gretchen.

Others are simple holders for votives that I purchased about two years ago when I moved into my last house.  It was a surprise move, of sorts, as I hadn't planned on moving out and subsequently going through a divorce, but the congregation I formally served loved me and cared for me when I needed it.  When the weather warmed up and my stuff was finally moved in, I hosted an open house/house blessing....with candles in every room, I invited my friends and folks from church to see the house, walk around to different rooms and read scripture and bless the house and my time in it.

I have many scripture passages that I could say are my favorite, but John 1:5 always stands out for me...The light shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot comprehend it.  There is something about light...how even the tiniest spark can be seen across a darkened room.  The light of Christ that shines within us helps to illuminate our lives and the lives of people with whom we live in community.  Whatever our words or our actions, they can either enlighten or darken the world around us...I would lean towards lighting the world, but I know I have those days when my words and actions bring darkness instead of light.  But the light sure does feel better...

I guess I will go place these votive holders around the house in preparation for the blessing of this house...and the constant reminder of Christ's light.

Until the next box . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment