Wednesday, September 8, 2010

cycling for curry

This morning's ride was ROUGH. I did a different, longer loop with more hills. With the Hilly Hundred in a month, I need to increase my inclines in my rides. And today I felt it. After the first of what I had planned on being 3 loops, I was BEAT. I realized there was something missing. For the first time in a while, I haven't had the emotional fuel behind my ride. Whereas other recent rides have been fueled by grief and loss I experienced over the past few weeks, this ride was different. The frustration and anger I have been feeling were not as strong as they have been. It was nice, emotionally, but physically I need more training for my ride next month.
When I have a goal, it's easier for me to work toward it, so that will fuel tomorrow's ride...and the training for the rest of the month.

With the limbo in my life mellowing out, I also had time to tackle some more rooms in the house. My friend G paused when she walked into the house today, stunned by the different tone she felt due to the fact that my home is much more organized than it was last week. I feel a sense of peace and quiet in my home, which also has toned down the more fiery emotions.

Another joy I have reclaimed time and space for cooking. Tonight's dinner was coconut chicken curry.




Here's an attempt to turn the creation into a recipe:

1 lb chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
A handful of new potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1 can bamboo shoots, drained
2 cans coconut milk
coriander
turmeric
cayenne pepper
salt & pepper to taste
sugar to taste
fresh basil, shredded
extra virgin olive oil
jasmine rice

1) In large saute pan, heat evoo over medium high heat & cook chicken strips. (I cooked them without browning them to imitate chicken I've had in curries before.)

2) When chicken is no longer pink, add peppers, potatoes, spices, and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover & simmer for 10 minutes.

3) This is a great time to start your rice. (Mine boiled over many times...still working on that rice cooking skill before I apply for Top Chef.)

4) After 10 minutes of simmering, add the bamboo shoots, stir & taste. At this point I added a some sugar, to sweeten the coconut, and a few splashes of hot sauce. (Note to self, add more cayenne earlier.) Cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Stir in basil & remove from heat.

5) Serve with jasmine rice. Enjoy. :)

Additional notes: I could really smell the coconut, but wanted to enhance the flavor. My friend G recommended adding some tamari to enhance the flavor. I may need to practice seasoning different elements while cooking.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment