Tuesday, November 29, 2011

crockpottin'

A day that started off sunny and in the mid 60's....and I walk home in the cold rain. 
A perfect day to walk in to a kitchen smelling of delicious roast which meant that dinner was ready. 

I started the day with a cup of coffee with fat free 1/2 & 1/2....followed by some oatmeal with 1/2 an apple and a handful of raisins.  (made with skim milk) 

I had a quick mile run on the treadmill...followed by that ever necessary 2nd cup of coffee.  (Perhaps that makes me an addict?) eh...two cups a day isn't that bad. 

Mid morning snack: a handful of peanuts.

Lunch: Ham and smoked gouda on a whole wheat wrap..with a touch of mustard. 

Afternoon snack: 1/2 apple with 1 TBS peanut butter.

and dinner.....a glass of red wine, alongside venison pot roast with sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms.  So yummy!  It makes lunch tomorrow and another meal to freeze...plus one meal for my boyfriend who gave me the venison and one for an older guy at church who after hearing about what I put in the crockpot this morning asked when the venison dinner would be. 


I'm finishing up that wine and watching West Side Story as I wait for bread dough to rise before it goes in the oven.  It's been a good day. 

I anticipate some popcorn shortly....and a cup of tea with honey and lemon later. 

Until tomorrow . . .


For those who are interested this is how I made the roast:

2 sweet potatoes in large cubes
3 carrot sticks (cut into thirds)
a handful of celery
one onion in large chunks
and some left over mushrooms

put all veggies in the crockpot.
drizzle with evoo and season with salt & pepper
add 1/2 cup wine (red or white should do)

put the roast on top.
spread one can of cream of mushroom soup on the roast (it's like frosting really)
sprinkle one packet of onion soup mix over the soup (sticking with the dessert illustration this would be your sprinkles)

I turned the crockpot on low at 8:45am.....and turned it off at 4:30pm.  If you're a crockpot cooker you know your crockpot and it's settings....don't quote me on these times, they worked for me today with this cut of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment