Sunday, April 17, 2011

holy and humbling moments

As we enter Holy Week, Palm Sunday set the mood. 

The storms had passed through, and the sun was out for a bit as we paraded behind Jesus on a donkey, waving our palms and shouting "Hosanna!"  What fun it was!

During worship, the sanctuary was full...the palms were a plenty...and the singing during the liturgy was an amazing experience....I don't know what it was...but in the midst of the words of institution it was like I was talking with people...and not a room full of hundreds of people, but it felt intimate and close...it was powerful and holy.  I'm so thankful to be called here...

After worship I headed out to the trail for a ride.  The last time I was there, I stuck to the part I knew...rails to trails.  Today I went in a different direction, which didn't start off too well.  I had to walk up the first hill...it was gravel and I didn't have the oomph I needed.  After that I found a groove...and the trails got skinnier...I'm better at the hills that are longer with slower incline, rather than the short steep ones. 


Here's the view from the other side:


I was worried about going down the gravel road, you know wiping out and all, so I went along the side in the grass...where there was already a thin path outlined.  I took it for a while, until I found myself in in a divot...going so slowly that I got stuck and just fell over. I thought, well...while you are building up good strength in your legs when it comes to road riding, but off road is completely different story...I'm not 'all that' on two wheels.  Still living and learning.  There will be an interesting bruise on my left knee tomorrow...it's slightly achy this evening. 

But I got back on the back the bike...and went back to put in some miles on the familiar trail.  And I was passed by an old man.  (geesh....) I wasn't lolly gagging or anything...but he just breezed by.  Just as I was thinking, woah, maybe I should kick it up a notch...and I noticed a great blue heron on the other side of the river.  I think they are one of the most beautiful creatures ever.  Either beautifully still by the river, or flying with an amazing wing span just seemingly gliding through the air.  It was a reminder to me that slowing down...is not a bad thing.  That taking in what is all around me is a good thing. 

So all in all...I was on a trail of some sort for an hour and 45 minutes....a long, but good and solid ride. 
I'm exhausted. 

Until the next ride . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment