Saturday, November 10, 2012

unplugged....sort of.

So what I'm really thankful for today is public radio.  But I wasn't really sure how to get a picture of that.....but my day started off with jazz from WWOZ in New Orleans, followed by Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and then live broadcasting from the Treme Creole Gumbo Festival.  Good times listening to many brass bands as I cleaned house, danced a bit and prepared my dinner.

I tried some new eats tonight.

Butternut Squash Gratin  (her photos are beautiful...mine are from the iPhone)

Here's the squash, ready to be layered...


And the tasty onion, garlic and celery...to go between the squash and the cheese....oh the cheese.


I tweaked the original recipe because I couldn't find fontina at my two closest grocery stores, so I went with a blend of Parmesan and provolone.  (not a bad flavor combo.)

After you pull the celery and onions from the heat, you add thyme, which was fresh from my garden.

Which inspired the rest of my dinner, although that gratin could stand alone.

I thawed some chicken breasts and marinated them in evoo, lemon juice, thyme and s&p.


As I was putting it all together, I realized I should have some greens, so I sauteed up some spinach with balsamic to put under the chicken.  

Here's the final product....The gratin was on the runny side, but that did not impact the sharp bite of the cheese and the sweet taste to the squash.  I'll definitely make it again.  Perhaps a little lower fat (minus the butter and half & half....and maybe some bread crumbs on the top?  This could be the go-to side dish for any holiday dinners I attend.  


When I came home from church, I popped the gratin in the oven and enjoyed Prairie (not prayerie) Home Companion and thoroughly enjoyed both Peter Sagal's appearance and the interview with Martin Luther at the end.  Happy Birthday, Marty.  

When I finish up the blog, I'll end my evening with a live concert from Mount Gretna (on NPR) and continue Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.  

I'm thankful for the opportunity to hear music from across the nation and across the state.  I love the stories, the news and the games on NPR.....I also love that it reminds me of growing up and listening to NPR as a kid.  (Sorry Carl Kasell, you have always sounded like an old man to me. Please accept my apologies.)  

I am also thankful today for a clean kitchen and the time and space to cook and eat tasty food.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment