Thursday, November 22, 2012

home.

So leading up to today, I thought I knew what this blog post would be all about.  As I was preparing for Thanksgiving Day, I knew today I would be thankful for old traditions and new memories.
I must have been pretty excited for today, I woke up before 7am....before the alarm went off and I was ready to roll, cinnamon roll, that is.

I got up, started the keurig and got the record player spinning with this:



There's something about that old familiar tune...that while you can listen to it other times of the year, it's a Thanksgiving tradition for me.
The cinnamon rolls were hanging out in the kitchen and the oven was preheating while I got firewood in for the fire and made final preparations for the Macy's Parade.  The kitchen smelled great & the rolls looked like this when they came out of the oven.



I quite enjoyed the ones stuffed with apples, craisins and walnuts!  I made it through one and my second cup of coffee before the troops arrived.  

Hello Kitty, ducks, animal (from the muppets), cats and pink snakeskin were the pajamas that were sported as we ate cinnamon rolls and sipped coffee, chocolate milk and orange juice.  We created our own Parade Bingo cards for the parade watching.  



I put Matthew in the 'free space' because we had just seen him in a musical number.  The "Bad Musical Number" space went to the piece from Bring it on: The Musical.  "Like Big Bird has his Snuffy...." Yeah....I'll pass on that one.

At the end of the parade most of us had just about filled our cards....and sang along with Jimmy Fallon and the Roots.  And during the commercials, Marley had some playtime, too.  (Thanks Jax & Anna!)


After the parade, it was time to get out of the jammies, cook up some brussels sprouts and head on over to the Kennedy's for dinner.  Who doesn't like apple pi pie?



We ate well, we laughed often and shared silly stories and just enjoyed time around the table and time in the living room.  The evening was topped off with some laughs and tears during Elf.  (I always cry as soon as James Caan starts singing....every time.)

And so, as I got into my truck to head home....I thought, yes, I am thankful today for old traditions and new ones!  I could get used to the cinnamon rolls and jammies while watching the parade every Thanksgiving.  Many folks asked if I was going home for Thanksgiving....I know people think of the place where you grew up as home, but as people asked me about it this time I thought, I am home.  This is my home.  This is where I want to be celebrating holidays and these are the people that I thank God for surrounding me with this day and all days.  I love my family back in New England.....and they will always be my fam....and my home in Connecticut will be my home sweet (childhood) home.  But this is my home now.  It's where I feel called to live, to work and to love.  It's home and for that I am truly thankful.

Thank you all who are a part of my life (both near and far) thanks for being in my life.  Blessings to you all.  May you each see the abundant blessings in you life and enjoy the presence of family and community in the days and years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment