Friday, June 1, 2012

raincoat required.

Well, I'm not really sure where May went.  It had plenty of days and many adventures with brews and beers, but not many days of blogging about it. 

I do have to say that over a week ago I saw the open sign at the local farm!  It was definitely a highlight for me and a true sign that the summer is approaching!  I have already enjoyed fresh asparagus more than once...and I will buy it until it is no longer available!  It's so tasty roasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper.  That's it...and it's super delicious.  When I was preparing it this week, I was breaking off the ends (you know the tough bits that you don't want to eat) well, it was so fresh that as I broke off the ends I ate them instead of tossing them.  Too good! 

So, inspired by my trip to Colonial Williamsburg and the very cool guy in the kitchen...I'm aiming for more fresh and local eats this month.  I was proud that when he asked the group gathered in that kitchen who in the group baked their own bread I was able to raise my hand.  I'm really lucky that I am just down the road from a great farm stand.  I mean Farmer's Markets are great....there are several nearby...and I enjoy getting the meat and poultry from the folks that raise the animals.  And while the fruits and veggies look amazing in the winter months, I know that most of them have been grown elsewhere and trucked in....which is not what I'm really looking for...so now that the weather is warming up....I'm ready for the local eats. 

My plan is at least one meal highlighting fresh or local eats each day. 

Today's local meal was dinner.  It started with salad:
Sadly, the colors aren't the best in this picture, but you get the gist.  The lettuce, cuke and snow peas were grown in the green house at the farm. 

The main course was pizza! 
It was a crust I made  a while back that had been chillin in the freezer.  It was topped with cheese, green house grown tomatoes and spring onions (from the farm). 


While it was in the oven, I put on my raincoat and dodged the rain drops to pick fresh oregano and basil which was sprinkled on the pizza when it came out of the oven.  There is something about the smell that the heat releases from the basil and oregano.  The kitchen smelled amazing! 


I'm sure some of tonight's ingredients will make there way into more dishes in the next few days.  Tonight's pizza will be at least two more meals for me.  But I'm hoping that some of these fresh flavors will pair well with breakfast....and I see some fresh bread in my future as well. 

Here's to fresh and local eating for the next 30 days.....and hopefully blog entries that are a little more regular.  ;)

Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment