Sunday, June 3, 2012

beets & greens.

Another wonderfully long day at church today.  But there were some stellar moments. 

During the children's sermon I was going to talk to them about vocation....or more so who we are called to be as children of God.  So I said, "Who here has a job?"  The congregation chuckled....then one hand went up....and the child said, "My job is helping mommy clean around the house."  Another hand went up, "My job is helping with the dishes."  The hands kept going up with ways that these little ones help and serve within the context of their families....it was a beautiful moment.  One little guy raised his hand and, "I help my dad with man work."  I tell ya....it's so amazing how the spirit moves.  I'm so thankful for a wonderful bunch of kiddos and their willingness to share. 

We had our confirmation service in the afternoon and I met with a couple getting married after the reception. 

Then I journeyed to a parishioner's house for dinner.  I knew I was in for a treat when I was asked if I liked beets.  When I said yes, they said good, they would pick up some fresh ones from the family garden down the road!  (fresh & local!) 

The picture is not from dinner tonight, but these were the kind we had...


They were sweet and tasty...and we alongside baked barbecue chicken, rice and beet greens. 

This was the first time she made beet greens and it was the first time I've ever had them.  They are tasty....and maybe part of that tasty came from the bacon....but I could be a greens fan.  Here's a link to the recipe that was used for the greens. 

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/

We omitted the sugar...and it tasted just fine.  Oh, and the garlic also came from the farm.

Yummy dinner, great family, fun conversation and a very relaxing evening.

Until tomorrow's local eats . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment