Thursday, June 14, 2012

good, healthy eats

So....I was excited a few months back when I made macaroni and cheese for the first time.  I used the recipe from The Pioneer Woman The line that stuck with me was after she finished making the cheese sauce, "And guess what? You can just steam some fresh broccoli and spoon some of this over the top. Kids from all over the land will show up at your doorstep."  Granted, I may not want kids from all over the land showing up at my doorstep, I did think that broccoli was calling out for this cheese sauce.  Knowing that I've been watching my carbs....and am planning on a long run in the morning, I figured I should use some pasta....so I went with whole wheat rotini and a head of broccoli. 


I got carried away....I cooked the whole box of pasta.  I couldn't help myself.  It's like the box just dumped itself.....the cheese sauce was perfect for coating the pasta and broccoli....and then I topped it with some mozzarella and baked it for about 15 minutes.....super delish! 

I followed the pioneer woman's recipe except for the whole wheat pasta.  I went with the whole milk....and butter....because I think that's the best base for the cheesy goodness. 

My side dish was beet greens. 

Contrary to what some people may say, I don't think I'm going to turn into a beet. 

While this meal was filling and delicious....I couldn't help but think about what I would have paired with it.....if I had a smoker.....I guess this is a fab duo meal....the dinner trifecta will have to wait. 

Until tomorrow . . .

ps: the broccoli and beet greens were from the local farm :)

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to RevGals! I love your emphasis on local foods and healthy - or fresh - eating. Looking forward to more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add my RevGal welcome too!

    ReplyDelete