Sunday, January 15, 2012

ordinary turned extraordinary.

So the highlights of relaxation over the past few days definitely include brining & smoking salmon :)


There was some tasty dry rub on two racks of ribs:

And two tenderloins that were also cozy on the smoker...


And while the BBQ was doing its thing, there was a pot on the stove at a gentle boil:

This first shot was when we were making the wort.  

Soon this will be found in bottles:


I can't wait to try it.  


I do have to say, too, that there have been moments of respite each day, even in the midst of a busy schedule, that have allowed me to stop and breathe.  
When I sit down and end up with a purring cat curled up on my lap - it's very relaxing and nap inducing.  

The amazing moment from today, however, came as I was preaching at our contemporary service tonight.  I was talking about how we, as ordinary, regular people are called to take part in God's amazing mission to love and bless and save the whole world.  I said, who teaches our Sunday School?  We have one right here tonight...
And a young woman, who graduated last year from a special education school and who is unable to read, but is a volunteer with the 3 and 4 year old Sunday School class, said me.  And I said, yeah, ordinary people, like you and like me.  
And I said, well, who greets people for worship?  And the young lady said, my papaw did this morning.  I said, does he have special powers to greet?  And she said, yes!  I said, yeah, God gives each of us the gifts and talents we need to be a part of God's mission.  I felt like I was preaching to the choir....that this young woman is sharing the good news of Jesus Christ through her words and actions...and sees others doing it as well.  I tell ya, in the midst of asking if we are all called to share the good news of Jesus, and hearing this young woman say yes, was the gospel moment I didn't know that I needed today.  That, who am I to be a part of this amazing mission when there are others around me living out their call so boldly.  Yet in that same moment, I was/am so thankful to be serving in this congregation and in this community...being nourished and fed in bread and wine and in the fellowship and companionship in the body of Christ. 

Until the next grace filled moment . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment