Wednesday, February 16, 2011

memory lane

Today I got to walk in some old and familiar places. 

It started with a trip to the congregation where I did my internship.  While it's tricky to see the church in the middle of a main thoroughfare, the bell tower does let people know it is a church building.  You might be surprised that it's a Lutheran church with St. Francis of Assisi on the side.


It did make for a perfect setting in the yard for the blessing of the animals service, though. 

I got to help out with organizing food for the monthly food pantry, just like old times.  I can't believe it has been five years.  It was nice to catch up with some folks and to remember such the important role they all played in my development and growth into becoming an ordained minister. 

After chatting for a bit, I drove around the old neighborhood.  I remember driving the church van for senior trips and trips in that same van driving through the local projects picking up eager kids for the after school program.  Some areas looked like they hadn't changed in five years....others I barely recognized. 

I had the chance to walk in a place that brought back fond memories for me, as well.  I strolled along the river by the Reading Public Museum.  Most Fridays on internship, I'd meet with several colleagues and we'd walk and talk for an hour or so...just building relationships, connecting and supporting one another.  It was such an invaluable part of my year here...that I still keep in touch with many of those amazing women. 

Along the walk I enjoyed the view of the water:


Thanks to a grandmother trying to keep up with and slow her granddaughter down, she pointed out two sets of wind chimes in the trees.



There was just enough wind to provide a soft, low hum as I passed under. 

So glad I had a chance to revisit some of the old haunts today...and thankful for the connections that began near here.  I had a chance to think about what I have been through over the past 5 years...I love that line in the song 'Watershed' by the Indigo Girls..."every five years or so, I look back on my life and I have a good laugh..."

I don't' know if I had a good laugh today...I definitely had a good smile, or two or more....and the chance to see some growth within me and the world around me.  So much has happened...and so much continues to happen.  I'm truly thankful that God has called me to a place that is somewhat familiar to help me remember who I was, but yet continues to open new doors, new opportunities and new relationships to continue to work through me to help me be who God created me to be.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment