Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

I'm not quite sure where December went....but it has come and gone.

I can't say that I've made any resolutions for the new year....well, if I did getting married would be one of them.  I have thought a lot about sabbath lately and the importance of taking a day for rest, play, feasting and worship.  I'm hoping that I am having at least one sabbath day a month.  Today had potential, but I had some phone calls related to work....but there was a fair amount of rest and a tasty brunch and a homemade soup for dinner.  Here's the link to the tasty soup that finished off the day: Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
Usually I stick to a recipe the first time out, but I did substitute chicken stock (because I had no veggie broth) and I added a pinch of curry powder and thinned it out with some milk at the end.  The recipe is a keeper and I think I could play with other roasted root veggies as a soup base for the future.

As I was leafing through the new Rachael Ray magazine last night I was intrigued by the 50 item bucket list.  While many of the destination ideas were exciting I was most inspired by the idea to cook one recipe from each cook book in your house. That being said, I did do an online recipe today, which was a hit.  So I may have to try a new online recipe each month in addition to a new cook book recipe.

Based on the number of cookbooks I have....if I plan to conquer this concept within the confines of 2013 then I will have to try more than one recipe a month.  The cool thing is that it will get me outside of my comfort zone and encourage me to try some new ideas.  I'm sure the results (both good ones and the not so good ones) will make it to this blog and into the bellies of friends and family.

What new things are you taking up for the year or trying to do without?

Until the next recipe . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment