Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Who am I?


So it's the first day of Lent.

I received a post on Facebook from a friend who was asked by a co-worker if I was eating meat today.
Let me just say that there was a time when I refrained from things in Lent.  When I was a kid I gave up Brussels Sprouts (I hated them when I was a kid, so it wasn't something that I was truly missing.)  As I got older I tried to give up things or refrain from things that I enjoyed.  Looking back, I'm not so sure I really got the point.  Thing about Lent now...I'm more focused on taking time this season to think about the things that separate me from God and looking for ways to allow more time for me to think, pray and and act in ways that remove the things that get in the way of seeing God at work in my life and sharing that with others.

The first thing I did was to get a book for my Lenten Devotions.  I ordered 40 Day Journey Julian Norwich from Amazon and it's kick starting each day with a writing from Julian, some meditation time and questions, some scripture, some journal prompts and a closing prayer.  It made for an early morning, but it's a routine I'm happy to get back into.

The other addition to my days this season is a Lenten Photo-a-day Challenge from rethinkchurch.org
Each day there is a word or phrase to guide your daily photo.

Here's the list from their website:


So as I went about my day today....I kept asking myself....who am I?
I thought runner, child of God, pastor, daughter, sister, friend, colleague, someone who loves chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, listener, fiance, home brewer, sinner, saint, cat owner....and the list goes on and on...and I thought of all these pictures I could take of stuff that I have that represent who I am...or potential self portraits....and as I walked home from the Ash Wednesday service this evening (in the snow) I had to catch some flakes on my tongue...I couldn't help it!  So....in the midst of it, I decided a photo was in order.

Who am I?  This girl....



One who takes time to find joy in the day and the weather....and just stop to catch snowflakes.

Who knows where the rest of the photos will take me over the next 40 days....but there's potential for silly, thought provoking, God revealing, or all of the above and then some.

See you in the next photo . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment