Tuesday, September 4, 2012

craving carbs....

I am so thankful that I had time in the kitchen today.  I love cooking....especially when it comes to new recipes with tasty local eats.

With all the running I've been doing lately, I'm trying to shift my eating....to proteins at lunch and carbs at dinner, to fuel up for running first thing in the morning.  So after sorting through a few Rachael Ray magazines I found a tasty one.

Here's the original recipe for Zucchini & Penne with Hot Pepper Pesto
I saw pasta with zucchini...and knew I had some pesto left in the fridge so I figured I was good to go.  I'm sure the homemade hot pepper pesto is tasty, but I went with what I had tonight.  I also diced up a chicken breast to add to the mix....for some extra protein.  And I used whole wheat penne.

Here's what Rachael says will feed 4:



I don't think I could finish it off if I was expecting triplets.  There will be leftovers for a while....perhaps I shouldn't have cooked the entire box of pasta....oh well.  It was tasty and will be tomorrow....and the next day.....and the next day....

I do have to say that while I was in the store, I debated for at least a minute or two (although it felt like 5 minutes or more) whether or not to get cheesy garlic bread to go alongside my dinner.  I didn't see any that were whole grain options, so I passed....

Then I hit the ice cream section.  Within 30 seconds I spotted 'Under the Stars'.  Chocolate ice cream with peanut butter swirls and chocolate stars filled with peanut butter.

Needless to say, I need to make sure I'm getting enough dairy, so that went right in the basket :)


Here's to enjoying home-cooked meals....and splurging on dessert.

If you're local and hungry, let me know....I've got some leftovers.

In other news, I've found Rocko's Modern Life on Netflix.....good times.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment